SECURITY ADD-ONS FOR YOUR BROWSER
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO INSTALL?
Add-ons are applications that you install on your browser as extensions. They offer your browser more than the built in functionality. Some of the functionalities that come with these add-ons include blocking ads, password management, creating virtual private networks (VPN) among others.
For someone in the info-sec world, there are some add-ons that are a must have for your daily use. We shall have a look at some of them.
1. Browsec VPN — a virtual private network that protects your browser from external threats, hides your IP address and enables you visit any website you need.
Firefox — https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/browsec/
Chrome — https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/browsec-vpn-free-vpn-for/
• Secure IP changer — shields your real IP address and location.
• Solid data protection — protects your data against data leaks.
• Remote servers — has free servers in the US, UK, Netherlands, Singapore.
• Safety guarantee — encrypts your traffic and protects your data especially on unknown public WiFi spots or in-genuine ISPs.
• Premium features
◇ Browse at speeds of up to 100 Mbs.
◇ Choose a server from a list of 40+ virtual locations.
◇ Adjust your browser time to the selected timezone.
2. DuckDuck Go — protects your data as you search and browse providing tracker blocking, smarter encryption, private search, and more.
Installation Link: https://duckduckgo.com/app
• Escape Online Tracking — block hidden third-party trackers.
• Search Privately — search the internet without being tracked.
• Enforce Encryption — forces sites to use HTTPS connection where available.
• Decode Privacy — each site you visit gets a privacy grade.
• Automatically stops websites from selling or sharing your personal data.
3. Fireshot — a tool used for taking and saving screenshots on your browser.
Firefox — https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fireshot/
Chrome — https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/take-webpage-screenshots
• Save as image or PDF.
• Copy image to clipboard or print.
• Premium Features:
◇ Saving screenshots to single-page or multi-page PDFs with hyperlinks.
◇ Capturing all tabs to single PDF or in one click.
◇ Advanced editor with crop and resize screenshot functionality.
◇ Undo/Redo capabilities.
4. Hack-Tools — used to make penetration testing procedure faster by providing most of the tools available and dynamically generated in one click.
Firefox — https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hacktools
Chrome — https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hack-tools/
• Dynamic Reverse Shell generator (PHP, Bash, Ruby, Python, Perl, Netcat).
• Shell Spawning (TTY Shell Spawning).
• Payload generation (MSF Venom Builder, XSS Payloads, Basic SQLi. payloads, Local file inclusion payloads (LFI) ).
• Data Encoding, Obfuscated Files or Information.
• Hash Generator (MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA512, SM3).
• Useful Linux commands (Port Forwarding, SUID).
• RSS Feed (Exploit DB, Cisco Security Advisories, CXSECURITY).
• CVE Search Engine.
• Various method of data ex-filtration and download from a remote machine.
5. LastPass — saves all your passwords, addresses, credit cards and more in your secure vault and automatically fills in your information when you need it.
You can read on how to set up the LastPass HERE.
Installation Link :
Firefox — https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lastpass-password-manager/
Chrome — https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lastpass-free-password-ma/
• Stores usernames and passwords and anything else you want to keep safe
• Fill forms quickly.
• All your data synced and available on any device for free
6. Mailvelope — adds missing encryption and decryption features to the user interface of common web-mail providers such as Gmail and Yahoo.
You can read on how to set up the mailvelope HERE.
Firefox — https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/mailvelope/
Chrome — https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mailvelope
• File encryption
• Email encryption & decryption
• Compatible with other PGP application
Installation Link: https://www.netcraft.com/apps/
• Credential leak detection.
• Detailed site reports & risk ratings.
• Conveniently reports suspected phishing & fraudulent sites.
• Protection against cross site scripting (XSS).
Firefox — https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wappalyzer/
Chrome — https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wappalyzer-technology-pro/
• Website profiling — find out what websites are built with.
• Website monitoring — monitor website technology changes.
• Browser extension — see the technologies on websites you visit.
• Security recon — reveals web technologies and version numbers.
9. Ad-Blocker — blocks ads, trackers, coin miners, popups, etc
Firefox — https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblocker-ultimate/
Chrome — https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblocker-ultimate/
• Remove all ads on the website you have visited.
• Helps block malware and tracking.
• Improves browser performance by removing unwanted content.